At the advice of my doula, I went to a breastfeeding class that was WAY out in the Woodlands on Saturday morning because the woman who teaches it, Sherri Urban, rocks. She did. She was great. I learned a lot, feel more confident and comfortable about nursing our baby and she kept me interested. One little kernel of knowledge I was happy to know is that breastfeeding is protected under Texas law!!! There are 41 states that allow women to breastfeed anywhere in public or private, and I am so happy that Texas is one of them. In addition, it's one of 27 states that has laws about breastfeeding and work, and actually has a mother friendly worksite program that encourages employers to support nursing mothers. How can I get my office to sign on? I always get excited when I hear about women friendly or progressive laws in Texas and look forward to sharing them with all my Minnesota friends who think Texas is so backwards. Naturally, with a little review, Minnesota is one of the states with the most progressive laws, but that's expected, right?
I guess I'm lucky that I grew up in a family where I saw all of my cousins nursed as a natural process in child development and maternal health. I've never understood why people get so grossed out or embarrassed by breastfeeding, though I'll admit when I walked up to a table I was waiting on at Shady Grove and all four women were nursing I was a little taken aback. Young and naive, I guess. Hopefully the day will come when people are disgusted by women whipping them out for beads, instead of whipping them out for nutrition.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment