
Green is the new black. We all know that. Last night my parents, Joab and I dined at Ruggles Green. It is the "only certified green restaurant in Houston city proper." I love Ruggles in Rice Village, and Ruggles Green has the same perks, only better. A variety of sandwich/pizza/pasta/salad offering in an order at the counter style restaurant and desserts that you will have trouble resisting. So what does it mean to be green? Technically the must reach standards to be Certified by the Green Restaurant Association, but the gist is to provide an environmentally sustainable business. Anyone who has worked in restaurants should know that waste waste waste is the name of the game, so it's a great thing to see. Plus, it's nice to know that the menu is paying attention to sustainability practices.
I ordered the All Natural Chicken Sandwich: Natural Chicken & Plantains Sauteed in Marinara Sauce, Topped with Apple Smoked Bacon, Cilantro, Guava Caramelized Onions, Black Beans,
Guava Sauce & Mango Chipotle Dressing, served on a Whole Wheat Bun. I know, sounds like a lot. Maybe too much. But it wasn't. I didn't notice the black beans, plantains or marinara; maybe they were missing? And it was topped with avocado and included their pickles, which may be a problem for some, but I was going to add them anyway. The pickles are, truly, pickled cukes, not brined. The mango chipotle dressing was delicious and not overwhelmingly doused on the sandwich, the bacon perfectly cooked, the onions delicious. It didn't seem to match the description, but it was good chicken sandwich, as far as chicken sandwiches go. I made the mistake of adding mustard (I know, but I'm a vinegar freak!) which I didn't do when I had the leftovers at lunch, and didn't miss it. I, of course, ordered it with sweet potato fries. Yummy, crispy, just salty and not greasy. Naturally my dad ordered an additional side order for the table since he ended up getting pasta and can't resist sweet potato fries.
Guava Sauce & Mango Chipotle Dressing, served on a Whole Wheat Bun. I know, sounds like a lot. Maybe too much. But it wasn't. I didn't notice the black beans, plantains or marinara; maybe they were missing? And it was topped with avocado and included their pickles, which may be a problem for some, but I was going to add them anyway. The pickles are, truly, pickled cukes, not brined. The mango chipotle dressing was delicious and not overwhelmingly doused on the sandwich, the bacon perfectly cooked, the onions delicious. It didn't seem to match the description, but it was good chicken sandwich, as far as chicken sandwiches go. I made the mistake of adding mustard (I know, but I'm a vinegar freak!) which I didn't do when I had the leftovers at lunch, and didn't miss it. I, of course, ordered it with sweet potato fries. Yummy, crispy, just salty and not greasy. Naturally my dad ordered an additional side order for the table since he ended up getting pasta and can't resist sweet potato fries.
Dad ordered the spicy shrimp pasta, which I didn't get to try, but he complained that it wasn't spicy enough. Joab ordered the spicy southwest smoked chicken pasta which was quite spicy and very smoky. A unique flavor for pasta, very much a smoky, barbecue feel and not exactly what Joab was going for, but the rest of us liked it a lot. Mom ordered the curry chicken salad. It was also tasty, and wasn't curried chicken salad, but a salad, which chicken breast and curry flavoring. Dad and I argued about it needing a vinegar element. He said it did, I said it would ruin the flavors. It turned into a semi argument, but I stand by my assessment. He doesn't really know what he's talking about and the vinegar would have ruined it; I think he didn't like it because of the fruit elements. Or maybe it was my realization that the mustard I put on my sandwich overpowered the delicate balance of flavors the chef intended. You have to really like curry flavor to like it, but why would you order a curry salad if you didn't really like curry? Curry isn't one of those on the fence things that people kind of like, like garlic mashed potatoes or something. You love it or hate it.
Remember what I said about dessert? Naturally my fat pregnant ass had to get some, and we split the Charlotte’s Webb - Alternating Layers of Moist Chocolate Cake Pieces,White Chocolate Espresso Pudding, Fresh Whipped Cream & Crunchy Heath Bar Pieces. Yum. Just as good as it sounds. Definitely glad we split it between the four of us.
Oh! I almost forgot they have a great list of organic beers and wines. I don't remember what everyone ordered, but everyone liked their choices. I cannot provide any insight, because my tongue doesn't seem to like the taste of beer or wine in pregnancy.
I am also happy to note that Texas has 7 certified green restaurants or resorts. Minnesota has none. Does that make up for the fact that you can recycle at almost any trash can in Minneapolis? Probably not. And, in all honesty, you can't compete with the greeness of Minne. I do miss that...

No comments:
Post a Comment