Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Giddy pregnant

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment, which I kind of forgot about because now they are every two weeks, so it's not so exciting. I was happy that I only gained 2lbs in two weeks, since I gained 6.5 in a month at my last visit. The visits are, luckily for me, kind of old hat. The only thing that changes is my weight, otherwise my blood pressure is always good, the baby's heartbeat is always a strong 150ish, I'm measuring where I'm supposed to, blah blah blah. But blah blah is what you want.
Anyway, random strangers are much more likely to talk to me about when I'm due, what the gender is (and how cool or crazy it is that I'm not finding out), how I'm feeling and if I have names picked out. When I was leaving yesterday morning, I got on a very full elevator and one woman had a staring problem. She was mostly staring at the woman behind me who was pregnant, or maybe her son who was about 3, but I think caught herself and started staring at me and must have thought "she's huge! she must be expecting any day now."
Staring woman, "How much longer do you have to go?"
Me, "9 weeks."
Staring woman, "Oh, I bet you just can't wait."
Me, "No, I can wait"
Staring woman, keeps staring in disbelief.
Me, "This is my first baby. I can definitely wait." Walk off elevator.
Pregnant woman with 3 year old laughs while the rest of the elevator is appalled.
I think women are expected to be non stop giddy and clapping hands whenever we think about the little bun in the oven, but that's just plain dumb. My mom feels that way, but I sure don't. I'll be happy to let this kid stay in there until I have a crib set up, we're moved into a new place, I've figured out how we're going to pay for college. Honesty is so disappointing.

1 comment:

  1. i hear you! we must be due very near the same time ... i'm also a first-timer, though I'm now wavering between "yes, i can wait" and "i'd really like to not be carrying around this basketball belly" and "where's the reverse button"? best of luck to you!

    ps. the giving tree is one of my faves too, can't believe i forgot to list it!

    ReplyDelete