Friday, February 13, 2009

I miss Austin

I've been having the what the hell am I doing in Houston moments. Plus, this poor kid is going to be born in Houston moments. Trust me, I've thought about it. But yesterday while driving home in godforsaken inexplicable traffic at 4:30, NPR was interviewing Bill Clinton about his Global Initiative University Meeting being held at, of course, The University of Texas.
It's always hard when people ask where I'm 'from' because, of course, I feel like I'm from Austin, despite the fact that I went to junior high and high school in Dallas. I was born there, lived there as a little kid and a little adult, it's where I grew up, where I met Joab, where we got married. I always have that safe feeling like, ahhhh, I'm home, when I'm there. Anytime I meet someone from Austin I feel like we have something in common (it doesn't help that I was at a training this week being held by someone who worked for City of Austin for 26 years and I thought, why don't I work for City of Austin??) and that really, I'm supposed to be there. It actually is where I've spent most of my life. I've lived in 10 cities, 4 states and 4 countries over 28 years and Austin has the most of all those years. Yet, when I left in 2005 to move to Minneapolis, I couldn't wait to get out of there. Now, I'm dying to go back.
Houston isn't too bad. My parents are here, a lot of my family is here, most of Joab's family is here. I have some good friends here. I have a good job. Now that we're having this bambino, being close to family is the most important thing. That and having a good job. Two things that will remain while I am here. Which will probably be a while. But the best thing about Houston? It's only 2.5 hour drive from Austin...
Here is a short list of things I really miss...
Barton Springs
Town Lake and the running trails
Lake Travis
Russell's Bakery
Shady Grove
Hula Hut
Amy's Ice Cream
Austin Java Co
Maudie's
Guerro's
Taco Shack
a million other Tex Mex places
Austin Pizza
Rudy's BBQ
Veggie Heaven (though I must admit only frequented it in college)
Mangia
Triumph Cafe
Whole Foods
Central Market
University of Texas
Texas Sports
Downtown
Too many cool bars around town to count
Patios at every restaurant
Driving on 360
Keeping it weird
I could go on and on...
Some of the restaurants have locations here in Houston, but it's just not the same. Until then, I will work on my 5 year plan to get back there. Now, if only I can convince my sweet husband to get on the same plan.

3 comments:

  1. You have a blog!!! I never knew, I'm excited! Hope you and Baby Opot are doing good! Can't wait to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to blog about your most FAVORITE part of living in austin - LIVING WITH CAROLINE and rocking 6th street every weekend - when it was still considered cool. I also did not see cabana BFTs (BreakFastTacos).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was what I missed, not what you missed. You can start your own blog if you want to talk about cabana BFTs, which taste the same no matter where you are...

    ReplyDelete