Monday, February 23, 2009

Cuatro's


I was in Austin this weekend, and it was fabulous. Including the fact that I have a new place to miss, even though it wasn't part of my repertoire, it is a place that I will visit whenever I am back in Austin.
Cuatro's is on 24th & San Gabriel, in the heart of West Campus, but without the Cain & Abel's frat boy feel or the Pluckers super collegey feel. Sure, lots of students, but a mixed crowd. Most important delicious food!! And drinks. I cannot wait to get back and drink the drinks with alcohol.
We had fried pickle starters. I LOVE fried pickles, and not just because I am pregnant. I have always loved fried pickles and the only place I ever really liked was Razoo's because they fry the chips, not the spear. I've tried fried spears, and find them totally disappointing. Cuatro's were rigid, crispy, salty and served with jalapeno ranch. I'm not usually a ranch fan, unless it is with fries or fried something (to make it healthier) and it has to be real ranch. Not that gluey, sugary plastic jar crap. Must be made with buttermilk, mayo and spices (usually shitload of salt). Add jalapenos, and YUM! A Texan girl's dream come true.

I followed with the Kona Tacos (I got the mini tacos on corn torts instead of two tacos on flour) that are filled with pork, onions, pineapple cilantro and green chile sauce. They are so good, and don't be afraid if you typically don't like fruit. The sweet tartness of the pineapple gave just enough bite to offset the crispy yet chewy perfectly smoky seasoned pork. Plus, I got to snag my friend's tuna taco which is seared ahi tuna (don't tell the pregnancy police) with avocado, pico and greens and a side of the jalapeno ranch. I loved those too, but was happy with my Kona tacos.

I had the watermelon agua fresca to drink, sans alcohol. To die for. After the first sip all I could think about was sitting by the lake in the summer, even though it was a breezy 55, freezing by Texas standards. I could taste the freshness of the watermelon juice, it was even a little pulpy as watermelon juice should be, mixed with lime and a mint sprig. There was some carbonation, I'm thinking club soda, which may have existed in place of the alcoholic version with Bacardi Limon. I am not a big rum drinker, but this would be a rum drink that I could enjoy on their patio.

The whole place is practically a patio, and definitely had that chill all day feel to it. The service was good, the crowd was good, the bar was cool. The light wooden floors and silver chairs gave it a chilled out vibe, and I felt like I should be at the beach. Plus, there were lots of TV's, so any sporting event you could want was available. Though, of course, UT sports take precedence. A great spot. I can't wait to head back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment